AEA completed the final design and post design services for Cokesbury Road over I-78 Bridge Deck Reconstruction and Miscellaneous Repairs project as prime consultant. Project was completed on time and within budget. The deck replacement would extend the bridge’s useful service life and provide the estimated costs to accomplish the work. The bridge was constructed circa 1968, and consists of four (4) spans and is 231 feet long and 55 feet wide, and provides one northbound through lane with a shoulder, one southbound through lane, and one SB acceleration lane.
The results of the evaluations / investigations performed on the project were presented in a Design Recommendation Summary Report which was reviewed by NJDOT and FHWA. Upon approval of the recommendations / strategies presented in the report, final design was authorized and contract documents were prepared for the work.
The following major items of work were accomplished:
- Complete replacement of the bridge deck including sidewalks, parapets, bridge fencing and deck joints.
- Seismic analysis and retrofits of the bridge
- Painting of the structural steel
- Miscellaneous repairs to the concrete substructure
- Reconstruction of abutment headers and parapets on existing wingwalls
- Replacement of substandard guide rails attached to bridge parapets
- Reconstruction of concrete curbs, milling and paving
- Removal and reinstallation of bridge mounted sign structure
- Provided construction support services include reviewed shop drawings, prepared responses to RFI and consultation during the stage construction.
All design work performed using AASHTO LRFD specifications and NJDOT Design Manual for Bridges and Structures. Also, provided Construction Support Services include reviewed shop drawings, responses to Contractor’s RFI and consultation during the construction.